Russian ancient Pskov city on PhotosRussian ancient Pskov city. Russian ancient Pskov city on Photos Photos.

Russian.

Pskovo-Pechersky (Pskov-Caves) monastery Pskov. The small Russian town Pechory, photos.

The Russian Holy Dormition Pskovo-Pechersky (Pskov-Caves) monastery is located on the border with Estonia, 50 kilometers to the west of the city of Pskov and 340 kilometers from St. Petersburg. In ancient Russian language "cave" sounded like "pechera". The ancient caves are naturally ventilated, and have a constant temperature of +5 centigrade. Here lies the monastery cemetery. The ancient caves - an enormous burial vault for monks, as well as laymen - are of great interest in the Monastery of the Caves. The caves branch off into seven galleries in which nearly ten thousand bodies are buried: some coffins are on the floor, while others are bricked up in the wall. All 7 branch of caves are approximately 218 meters long.

The date of the monastery's foundation is considered to be August, 15/28,1473. It was on that day that the monastery's founder, St. Jonah (Shesnik) consecrated the church of the Dormition of the Most Holy Mother of God пїЅ a church which was built into the hillside. But the monastic life had actually begun there much earlier, when a few hermits, seeking solitude, came to live in the caves. The old caves was first mentioned in 1392, in the monastery's chronicle. The holy relics of one of them, St. Mark the desert-dweller, still rest in the caves and many people come to venerate them. 

The monastery gradually grew in size and reputation. The 16th century was the time of its flourishing, when under Abbot Cornelius the Annunciation and St. Nicholas Churches were erected as well as the stone belfry and the monastery was fortified around by a stone wall with bastions, and the brethren numbered up to 200. Abbot Cornelius collected a rich library, established chronicling and founded an icon-painting workshop. The monastery became an important missionary center and stronghold of Orthodoxy on the western border of Russia. Tradition has it that, slandered by envious people, Abbot Cornelius was beheaded by Tsar Ivan the Terrible on the 20th of February, 1570 and now numbers among the hosts of holy martyrs.

In the 16th and 17th centuries the monastery suffered from numerous attacks by Polish and Lithuanian troops, as well as by the Swedish and German soldiers. The most serious attack was lead by the Polish King Stephan Batory in the autumn of 1581.

During its military history the fortress only once was captured by the enemy, but in a day the enemy was banished by the courage and steadfast people. At the beginning of Northern War (1701) Peter the Great visited the Pechory monastery. Foreseeing the use of fortress in military fights he ordered to strengthen it with earth walls, rolls, banks and ditches. The military activity of the monastery-fortress finished with the conclusion of Nishtadt peace treaty in 1721. 140 years the fortress defended the borders of Russia. But till now it is a wonderful monument of Russian fortification Art. 

In 1920 the town of Pechory, in accordance with the Tartu Agreement, was given to Estonia, and the monastery found itself outside Russia. This new situation did not affect the church services in the monastery, they never ceased.

After the Second World War, in the 50s, the revitalization of the monastery began, and Archimandrite Alipi (Voronov, +1975) contributed much to it. It was under his abbacy that all the churches were repaired and the stone wall and bastions were restored to their original appearance.

During those years the spiritual life of the monastery also flourished. This tradition was carried on in the monastery by Archimandrite loann Krestiankin, he died at the age of 96 year, on 5 February 2006 year, and Archimandrite Adrian (Kirsanov).

Now there are 11 churches in the monastery. It is in the oldest gold-domed Dormition church that one can see and venerate the miracle-working icon of the Dormition of the Most Pure Mother of God and the relics of the Holy Martyr Cornelius. Currently the monastic community numbers over 90. The brethren celebrate daily morning and evening services, perform perpetual psalter reading and spiritually guide a large number of people seeking their wise spiritual counsel. The monks also labour in the monastery fields and stable. There are an icon-painting and an icon-restoration workshops and a Sunday school. The monks run a House of Mercy which comprises a Pilgrim's house and a hospice for aged monastery workers. The monastery is also renowned for its children's choir.

In 2003 the monastery celebrated the 530th anniversary of its existence.

Pskov city gifts from Russia Icon painting techniques.
Pskov city gifts from Russia Pskovo-Pechersky (Pskov-Caves) monastery.
Pskov city gifts from Russia Shopping with free gifts and free Shipping.